No longer will you have to wonder where your vehicle or driver are located. A fleet tracking solution enables you to manage your valuable vehicles, drivers, as well as inventory and equipment that they carry. Through fleet tracking you can stay connected with your mobile workforce to collect data on location, vehicle health, driving behavior, and fleet productivity to ensure maximum efficiency.
With the right fleet tracking solution, you can organize the locations and time commitments of all your tracked assets at a glance. You can make the most informed decision about where or when to utilize them next.
What are the Key Benefits of a Fleet Tracking Service Plan?
- Optimize Productivity – Ensure a proper driver is sent to every job in the most efficient route given and the ability to reroute a driver or a fleet in real-time.
- Reduce Costs – Decrease the costs of fuel with optimized routes to reduce speeding, idling, or unauthorized usage.
- Improve Safety – Be able to monitor fleet in real- time and communicate with drivers in case of road accidents to be able to provide assistance and support.
- Accuracy – Reduce errors and paperwork so you can locate your assets and vehicles in no time.
What is Fleet Tracking?
A fleet tracking solution focuses on being able to track and manage a fleet of vehicles. In a business that is responsible for managing a fleet of vehicles, you are mainly concern about knowing the accurate location of the vehicle, hours of operation, driver’s safety, and customer’s satisfaction. Any business that have multiple vehicles out on the field can benefit from the visibility of having a fleet tracking solution.
With all fleet tracking solution, each vehicle will have a vehicle tracking device installed to monitor and transmit data on location, utilization, engine diagnostics, and hours of operation from a cellular carrier to provide real- time tracking. You will be able to retrieve detailed information concerning drivers and vehicles to know what is going on out in the field and dispatch your workers more efficiently from a fleet management software.
Once in the system, fleet managers can tap into maps that can be access from any mobile device or computer for real-time activity and current status of all your drivers, vehicles, and mobile equipment. After all the data is collected, field staff and routes are managed more efficiently and deliveries becomes more predictable by providing customers with accurate delivery times and tracking info which can increase customer satisfaction.
What Should You Address When Putting Together a Fleet Tracking System?
When putting together an effective and suitable fleet tracking system here are a few key questions to answer:
- What tracking data is relevant to your business?
- How many vehicles do you need to track?
- How many drivers do you have?
- How will you monitor the application?
- What type of GPS device is best?
- What kind of cost can I expect?
What are the Components of a Fleet Tracking System?
All fleet tracking system consist of 3 core components:
- Fleet Management Software – the software serves as the mainframe of the solution and will present the data that you collect and generate a report based on your operation.
- GPS Device – The type of vehicle data you want to generate weighs heavily on this decision. If you want to collect data engine diagnostic data, you should choose a GPS device that plugs into the OBD II port that is available in most vehicles.
- Mobile Computer – A mobile device allows you to have all the needed information in the palm of your hand, depending on how rugged your environment is and budget, a wide range of devices can be used.